For the 8&Under division coaches, it is more important that you are good with children rather than skilled in instructing the sport.
We provide a mandatory Coaches Training and Certification Clinic prior to the start of practices. We can also provide websites, coaching tips, and other ideas to help get you started as a coach. All ages require enthusiasm, knowledge of the game and communication ability with both children and their respective parents/guardians.
Assistant coaches, while not mandatory, are very useful to the head coaches. They allow the children to receive more personal instruction and direction. Decreasing the child-to-coach ratio is always good in keeping the children engaged and focused. They also provide the head coach with another pair of eyes during the games and practices. Assistant coaches also provide a capable backup in case the head coach is unable to make a practice or game.
Coaches Code of Conduct
- Basketball is a game. Remember to coach accordingly.
- The rules of basketball should be regarded as mutual agreements, the spirit or letter of which no one should try to evade or break.
- Opposing teams and spectators are honored guests.
- No advantages except those of superior skill should be sought.
- Officials and opponents should be treated and regarded as honest in intentions.
- Official's decisions should be accepted without looking angry, no matter how unfair they may seem.
- Winning is desirable, but winning at any cost defeats the purpose of the game.
- Losing can be a triumph when the team has given its best.
- The ideal is the greatest good to the greatest number.
- In basketball, as in life, do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.
- Coaches are not encouraged to run the score up when their team is well ahead. Instead, take this
opportunity to try new lines and plays with your players.
Coaches Pre-game and Post game Instructions
Often coaches arrive at the gym prepared to coach but not-prepared for the pre-game preparations. This can result in the game starting late especially when the volunteers are not familiar with their duties as minor officials. Prior to arriving at the game location the following preparations will enable you, your team and the referees to smoothly get ready for the game:
- You should arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled game time to be sure that all preliminary duties are met (so the game can start on time).
- Come with a list of your players in numerical order for every game.
- If you are the home team, fill in the score-sheet before arriving at the gym. (List all players and then at half-time of the game note which players are absent or injured).
As a courtesy to the next team have your players clean up the bench area. Pick up beverage containers, etc. Wipe up wet areas and then leave quickly so that the next team can begin their preparations. Hold your team meeting outside or in a corner away from the baskets.
If you are interested in becoming a basketball coach, we can help. We have a number of training materials for your use. Our Mandatory Coaches Clinic will also provide additional training materials that will be helpful to you throughout the year. We can also assign an experienced coach to help you get started.